Human Resource Management in Indian Railways
Human Resource Management in Indian Railways is managed by officers of Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS), a Group 'A' service created on 1.1.1976 through a promulgation issued by the President of India. IRPS officers are recruited through the Civil Services Examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission. In-service Group 'B' personnel officers of IR also have a channel of career progression into IRPS.
IRPS is the only organised Group 'A' service specializing in the Human Resources functions under the Government of India.
The expertise of the IRPS officers in the HR field in the government sector has been much in demand to the extent that nearly 10% of these officers have been serving on deputation in the other ministries of the Government of India, PSUs, and State Governments.
IRPS officers manage the entire gamut of HR functions that impact over 1.3 million serving employees and 1.4 million retired employees of Indian Railways. The wide range of functions handled by them include the following:
- Formulation, Interpretation, Implementation of HR Policies
- Manpower Planning & Right sizing
- Background and confidential checks by coordinating with district administration
- Career records management
- Employee compensation & employee benefits
- Selections, Assessments, Promotions
- Employee Reward & Recognition
- Monitoring Labour law enforcement
- Defending establishment court cases
- Employee welfare & Staff Benefit Fund
- Pension & other retirement benefits to retired employees
For detailed information & statistics related to HRM in Indian Railways click on this link: Human Resource Management in Indian Railways
For links to expert articles and reports of professional interest on Human Resource Management click on this link: HR Expert Resources
For HR Professional associations in India and overseas click on this link: HR Professional Associations
For HR webcast E-Learning resource videos in India and overseas click on this link: HRM Webcast Lectures